Visit Map

Sunday 15 November 2015

Mollisons Creek Bridge at Pyalong - Heathcote Junction to Bendigo Line.

Quite an impressive bridge over Mollisons Creek, and one I have wanted to visit for a long time. I had looked at photos of it on Google Earth, but it is much more impressive in real life.

It is a sort of tourist attraction for the township of Pyalong, they keep the park around it in good condition, but unfortunately do not do any repairs or remedial work on the bridge itself. The road under the bridge, appropriately named Bridge Street, is now closed at either end of the bridge and large warning signs erected at each end.

On the day of my visit, I was pleasantly surprised to find Philip Dunn had seen a posting of mine mentioning I was going up there, so he travelled across from home to meet up with me.

I had taken the still shots and was getting ready to fly the drone to get some aerial views, a little concerned at all the trees very close to the bridge, but nevertheless got a good bit of footage from the air and Philip got to see a demonstration of the drone. Unfortunately however, I left the memory card for the drone at home, so nothing at all was recorded. I will go back in a few weeks time and re-shoot the aerials.

It was not really possible to do any measurements of the bridge, given its poor condition, but it is quite large, with 26 openings of 15 feet, plus 1 of 20 feet, total length of 320 feet and a height of 13.8 Metres.

It is located south of the former Pyalong station site, which has been built over.












No comments:

Post a Comment